Wednesday, February 15, 2012

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS - TYRA'S ESSAY

Total randomness alert:

Ya'll (as if I'm from the south), Brian and I are completely obsessed with Friday Night Lights these days. We had never watched a full season and since we were all done with madmen we were feeling the void on our weekday nights - big time (married life - eek!).

The other night was the end of Season 3 when the Panthers go to State and SPOILER: lose. It was kind of a downer but at one point during the show Tyra reads her college essay to Landry and I was so touched by it:

"Two years ago, I was afraid of wanting anything. I figured wanting would lead to trying and trying would lead to failure. But now I find I can't stop wanting. I want to fly somewhere on first class. I want to travel to Europe on a business trip. I want to get invited to the White House. I want to learn about the world. I want to surprise myself. I want to be important. I want to be the best person I can be. I want to define myself instead of having others define me. I want to win and have people be happy for me. I want to lose and get over it. I want to not be afraid of the unknown. I want to grow up and be generous and big hearted, the way people have been with me. I want an interesting and surprising life. It's not that I think I'm going to get all these things, I just want the possibility of getting them. College represents possibility. The possibility that things are going to change. I can't wait."


After hearing it I told Brian I had to put it up on the blog and so here you go :) I warned you it was random! 


 oh, hey Tim..





7 comments:

  1. I am embarrassed to say I've never seen Friday Night Lights and a high school classmate of mine was one of the writers! I hear you on married weeknights ;) We can't wait for Mad Men to return. We are enjoying Dexter and Weeds and are about to start Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Friday Night Lights but I love the passage you posted. Wishing, hoping dreaming and the endless possibilities that life has waiting makes life's journey soooooooo fascinating.
    Thanks for the random digression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so inspiring and always at the right time.
    thanks Liz
    xoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, I went through such a major FNL phase. Don't watch them too fast because you'll be bummed when they're over! My new show is Downton Abbey - have you been watching?! If not you must, you'll totally appreciate the costumes and interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So inspiring and just what I needed to hear right now! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, I just turned to my husband last night as I was playing on pinterest and he was playing words with friends and asked "what do other married people do on weeknights?" I guess not anything too much more exciting : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friday Night Lights was my favorite show when it was on. The ending was fantastic and so glad that Kyle Chandler finally won an Emmy for his role.

    ReplyDelete